WELCOME TO OUR ABOUT SEFTON PAGE

Sefton

 

The Metropolitan Borough of Sefton is in Merseyside, England. It was formed on 1 April 1974 by the amalgamation of the county boroughs of Bootle and Southport. It became responsible for the administration of the county boroughs of both Southport and Bootle, as well as taking control of Crosby, Formby, Litherland, Maghull and some rural areas from Lancashire. With its 22 miles of coastline, Sefton is predominantly a coastal borough. 

Towns and villages in Sefton:

  • Ainsdale, Aintree.

  • Birkdale, Blowick, Blundellsands, Bootle.

  • Churchtown, Crosby, Crossens.

  • Ford, Formby.

  • Hightown, Hillside.

  • Ince Blundell.

  • Kennessee Green (a village in the southern half of Maghull)

  • Litherland, Little Altcar, Little Crosby, Lunt, Lydiate.

 

Postcodes for areas in Sefton are: L, PR

Population: 274,589 (2017) ONS UK

The Historic Village of Sefton

Sefton Village is a village and civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Sefton in Merseyside, England. Located to the south west of Maghull and to the north east of Great Crosby. It is on the flood plain of the River Alt. The village is bisected by the B5422, Brickwall Lane, which cuts also through the site of the moat of Sefton Old Hall, a recognised National Monument. At the 2001 Census the population was recorded as 772, increasing to 855 at the 2011 Census.

Historically a part of Lancashire, the name Sefton is thought to be derived from the Old Norse sef, meaning "sedge" or "rushes" and tún meaning "farmstead". In the past Sephton was an alternative spelling.

The Parish Church of St Helen (Church of England) - the only Grade I listed building in the Borough - was first built around 1170 as the private chapel of the Molyneux family. The church is also known locally as 'Sefton Church'

This village is home to Sefton Parish Church, Saint Helen's Well, a pre-Reformation shrine, a plague pot, the Grade II listed 'Punch Bowl Inn' and the site of Sefton Mill dating back to the Middle Ages.

 

Local folklore has it that Sefton Hall, a loyalist stronghold, was the scene of a skirmish in the English Civil War. The Georgian Rectory to nearby Sefton Parish Church was demolished in the 1970s, however the gate piers still stand at the entrance to Glebe End. The curate's house, Lunt House, was situated in the nearby hamlet of Lunt.

This is Saint Helen's Well

The well is a pre-reformation shrine, a plague pot. It is said that anyone that died of the plague was thrown down the well. St. Helen's Well was renovated early 2011 by Sefton Parish Council and Friends of Sefton Church jointly sharing the cost.

This is Sefton Church or also known as the Church of St Helen

The land was first consecrated in 1170 and a private chapel for the Molyneux family built soon after. The history of the land before this is unknown, but the distinctive oval shape of the churchyard suggests that it may have been used as Saxon burial ground in pre-Conquest Britain.

A small, decorated chapel in the Norman architectural style is known to have existed by 1291, when the building's worth was estimated at £26 19s 4d in the Valor of Pope Nicholas IV. No part of this original chapel exists today, however during building works at the East Window in the early 2000s, substantial Norman floor tiles were discovered and are now displayed in the Lady Chapel.

In the churchyard are three structures which are listed at Grade II. These are the base of a cross which is probably medieval, a sundial probably dating from the 18th century, and the churchyard wall. The churchyard also contains the war graves of sixteen service personnel, ten of World War I and six of World War II.

The Church has open days for the public to visit. These are held on Bank Holiday Mondays and every Sunday in August between 2pm-4pm. (We cannot be held responsible if these dates and times are not accurate).

Write a Comment

Like our Facebook page

CONTACT US

info@seftonbubble.com

info@bmg.news

Newsdesk: 01704 86 30 30

ADVERTISING on

SEFTON BUBBLE

If you would like to ADVERTISE ON OUR WEBSITE or our SOCIAL MEDIA pages, 

CLICK HERE for more information

© 2020 All rights reserved - Bubble Media Group Limited 

Copyright and Intellectual Property Owned by Bubble Media Group Limited

Registered in England. Registration Number: 11632904

 Terms and Conditions