Another bank holiday weekend is here. Last summer, when we were blessed with hot weather and many of us had a great time, the beaches and seafront areas of Formby, Ainsdale and Southport produced the highest number of missing children across the whole of the UK on one weekend. As a result, we would like to offer the following safety tips for visiting the coastline, starting with what to pack in advance:
* Always make sure you have high factor sun cream before you set off
* Have plenty of water with you. Fizzy and alcoholic drinks de-hydrate you far quicker
* When you arrive, arrange a meeting point, in case you and your children get separated at any time.
* Make a mental note of the clothing that children are wearing, or better still, take a photograph. We all have cameras on our phones these days.
* In case you have to call the emergency services, know exactly where you are. Finding people who have called us on crowded beaches can delay response times.
* Consider giving small children waterproof wristbands with your contact details on, or even tracking devices for vulnerable children and adults, in case they wander off and lose their way.
If a child is reported missing, the full range of emergency services will make every effort to re-unite children with parents. Please help make our searches easier by following this advice and enjoy your time at our beaches, parks and town centres.