We are very saddened to report that it was a 12-year-old that died last night, Monday 14th October, after two youngsters were spotted on a railway line in #Bootle.
A major emergency response was sent to the scene, close to Bedford Road, after reports of a casualty on the tracks at around 7pm. It followed reports that two children of the same age had been seen on the tracks.
Police were called to the railway line in #Bootle following reports of a 'concern for safety'.
The emergency services remained on the tracks for several hours, with rail services being cancelled on the line as police, ambulance and fire crews all carried out their investigations.
British Transport Police said officers were called at about 7pm on Monday evening following reports of a casualty on the tracks.
A spokesman from Police said: “Following reports of a concern for safety for a person in the area, officers were called to Bedford Road in Bootle. Paramedics also attended however sadly a person was pronounced dead at the scene.”
"The incident is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner."
A large emergency service presence could be seen at Bedford Road, as neighbours reported seeing a fire engine, ambulance and police officers at the scene.
Rail services were suspended between Sandhills and Hall Road while emergency services investigated the incident.
Merseyrail warned services would be cancelled or delayed until 11.30pm.